CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

IJM

About IJM (from IJM's website):
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.

IJM has a four-fold purpose which includes:
1. Victim Relief
2. Perpetrator Accountability
3. Victim Aftercare
4. Structural Prevention

The area where I would most be interested in working is the Victim Aftercare. Through my interactions and information gained about IJM I hope to understand better how this Aftercare occurs and to possibly pursue that in my future careers.

A very important fact that IJM focuses on is that "more children, women and men are held in slavery right now than over the course of the entire trans-Atlantic slave trade: Millions toil in bondage, their work and even their bodies the property of an owner."
This is a startling statistic that I try to make known to everyone I speak to about IJM.

My parents are in Washington DC this weekend at IJM's "Global Prayer Gathering." I will write a blog about their experiences with the organization and at this event!

0 comments: